EPC Requirements Before You Rent Your Domestic Private Property

EPC Requirements Before You Rent Your Domestic Private Property

If you’re a landlord with domestic private property in the UK, you may be thinking about renting it for extra income. However, before you do that, you need to ensure that your property is compliant with rules and regulations. 

Such regulations include the Domestic Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard or MEES regulations. If you fail to comply with these standards and rent your property anyway, you risk serious legal consequences. 

In this blog, we discuss MEES regulations and why you need an EPC to comply with property rental rules. 

Let’s get started! 

MEES Regulations For Domestic And Private Rented Properties

The Domestic Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard Regulations state that your building must acquire the minimum energy efficiency level before you rent it to a tenant. If your property doesn’t meet the standards mentioned in MEES, you will need to make relevant changes before you can legally rent it. 

The following regulations apply to those wishing to rent their privately owned domestic property: 

  • Your building must let on one of the following types of domestic tenancies: assured tenancy, regulated tenancy, and domestic agricultural tenancy.
  • You must have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) that states your building has an efficiency rating of at least E.

If your EPC certifies that your property has a rating of F or G, you must make changes to your building and make it more energy-efficient to comply with the regulations. 

Before you rent your domestic property, you must ensure these regulations are met and you are legally compliant. 

Specific MEES Regulations For EPC’s

According to changes in the regulations since 1st April 2023, your property will not be covered by MEES regulations if you have an EPC rating below E. 

If you want to rent or sell a property with an EPC rating of F or G, you need to make changes to improve your property’s rating to E. However, in some circumstances, you can register for exemption. 

How Can You Improve Your Property’s EPC Rating?

Firstly, you will need to have an EPC test completed on your property to grasp how your electricity efficiency is currently performing. We recommend using someone qualified and experienced, like the technicians at Gio Property Solutions. 

After they conduct these tests, you will have an accurate rating to work with. If your rating is below E, as professionals in this industry, we can provide you with effective solutions to increase this score and ensure your property complies with the MEES regulations. 

Once the relevant changes have been made, you must take another EPC test to prove the rating has increased and is now compliant. Following this, you are legally allowed to rent your domestic property to other people and organisations. 

Contact Gio Property Solutions For Your Energy Performance Certificate Today!

This sums up everything you need to know about the role of EPC in following MEES regulations. These tests ensure that your property is energy efficient, and most importantly, compliant with the UK standards before you can rent it.

We highly recommend having experienced professionals to take these tests, like the friendly team at Gio Property Solutions. Our technicians have the necessary qualifications, they are reliable and have solutions to common problems in this industry. You can be sure to trust our service from start to finish, we put our customers first!

To learn more about us, visit our EPC page or contact us to book an appointment today! 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *